Sunday, April 7, 2013

Gettin' Clean

Clean - Day 1
Today is the first day of the Miller family's attempt to detoxify.  

2012 was a terrible year for my health.  My seasonal allergies just about killed me - weird symptoms: short of breath and aching chest (kind of like what I would imagine an impending heart attack), extreme fatigue, dizzy and light-headed, anxiety like I've never known before (racing brain, jumbled, incomplete thoughts, inability to concentrate, etc), cold, tingling extremities, sensitivity to light and general emotional malaise.  I spent much of the year just surviving - hoping no one would notice.  


I think (not a ton of confidence there) I've dealt with a useful percentage of the stress that caused these symptoms.  At least enough to become more functional.  I'll talk more about it later.  Not anywhere near dead, I mean done, yet.  But - progress.  A powerful side-effect; I feel much more sympathetic to worried, anxious people.  I'm compassionate where I used to be impatient and judgmental.  There are a lot of anxious people...

In any case, I want to avoid that level of physical weakness/illness this year.  So, I'm moving forward with the theory that if I get my internal self cleaned up, it will remove much of what causes anxiety and give me a better foundation for dealing with stress.  If this is true, I will handle my allergies better because my imune system will be stronger.  Much of what I'm basing this off of came from talking with my doctor, research on the internet and my experience as a Take Shape For Life coach.  I've recently read a book called "Clean." Based on this book and the other research, I am embarking upon a detoxification diet.

As a wonderful and unexpected bonus, my whole family is joining me.  We're starting out with three days (including today) of gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, free from all typical digestive irritants.  But still eating solid food.  Except for breakfast - shakes are normal for breakfast in our house anyway.  Wednesday, we're going to liquid for breakfast, solid for lunch, liquid for dinner. I think we'll give the kids more solid.  There are snacks in between and lots of pure water - supposed to pee every hour and poop (at least) once a day.  If not - castor oil...

The goal here is not weight loss.  For me, it will probably happen anyway since I've added a few this last year.  I'm shooting for internal cleanliness.  I want to see what will happen to those nagging discomforts, regular colds/flus, joint aches and allergy symptoms.  If they recede - my suspicions will be confirmed.  Should be fun.

The mango/pineapple/coconut milk shake this morning was great!  Lunch of quinoa and veggies, apple and almond butter, with some sliced garlic thrown in.  Green tea with agave and lot's of water.  

Both Meleea and I had a headache this morning.  I feel tired but it could be that I've slept about 15 hours in the last three days.  Mostly psychological I would think.  It's going to be tough and more expensive to plan menues, shop and cook.  I'm going to have to help in the kitchen if this will work.  I hope I'm allowed in...

If this goes right, I'll see some changes - you will to if you follow this.  That's what the picture is for.  I'm really only blogging about it to add the pressure of public shame if I fail.  Thanks for your help.

Curtis











No comments:

Post a Comment

Words are most useful for connecting. My thoughts are unfinished discoveries - please share yours for the benefit of our community.